GPS Ranger™ And Zoo Ranger™Source: Bar Z Adventures
Bar Z Adventures, a provider of handheld educational GPS (Global Positioning System) technology, announced recently the development of two new products, the GPS Ranger™ and the Zoo Ranger™. These touring devices deliver multimedia content based on satellite recognition of GPS coordinates. They were designed with an aim to enhance the visitor experience at national parks, monuments, zoos, and other natural and historic sites. Currently more than half a dozen national parks and monuments are believed to be using or are under contract to use this cutting edge technology.
According to Bar Z Adventures:
- The GPS Ranger™ Series integrates GPS technology and Bar Z's patent-pending software into a rugged handheld computer. The GPS Ranger™ Series uses the Microsoft™ Windows CE platform.
- The strength and flexibility of the Windows CE technology, allows the GPS Ranger™ and Zoo Ranger™ to deliver interpretive messages to visitors as they experience the beauty, meaning, and history of the resource. The GPS Ranger™ Series can be programmed with unlimited content and allows for daily updates of all site activities. The system even supports multiple languages and audiences and provides for enhancements for the visually or hearing impaired.
- The GPS Ranger™ Series can't replace the personal tour guide but it is the next best thing. The visitor touring a natural or historic site while holding a GPS Ranger™ Series device will automatically hear and see meaningful interpretive content as he or she nears the various points of interest.
- The company expects to introduce the GPS Ranger Series to many more North American treasures. Beyond U.S. national parks and zoos, Bar Z Adventures has had interest from college admissions departments, cruise lines and selected regional markets.
GPS Ranger™ Series Specifications
- Rugged enough for daily usage, water resistant and drop resistant;
- sunlight readable screen;
- powerful 400 mhz processor with storage capacity of up to 4 GBs;
- lightweight unit with internal speakers.
- Multi-tiered software designed to support 100's of venues with 1,000's of handheld units deployed per venue;
- allows for flexible content changes (audio, video, text and still frame pictures), daily updates, add or remove content, add or remove points of interest;
- supports multiple languages and demographics;
- integrated GPS mapping -- users always know where they are and where they have been;
- supports "Bread Crumbing" or the ability to track where users went and how long they stayed -- critical visitor information;
- highly scalable integrated system designed to be a money maker for venue partner.
Additional information about the Zoo Ranger™
- Specifically tailored to the patrons of the Zoo market. The Zoo Ranger™ contains all of the components and features of the GPS Ranger™ and includes Zoo Trivia and Fun Facts. These additional features allow for increased interaction between the Zoo Ranger™ and the user.